For Employers

Hiring and Employment

Employers should be advised that all audiologists and speech–language pathologists employed in Nova Scotia, must be registered with the Nova Scotia College of Audiologists and Speech–Language Pathologists. Employers may verify that an individual audiologist is registered with the College by clicking here to search our audiologist registry. Registration of speech-language pathologists can be verified by clicking here to search our speech-language pathologist registry.

Duty to Report

According to the Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists Act, (2015) 28 1b, should the employment of an audiologist or speech-language pathologist be terminated, or the person resigns because of allegations of professional misconduct, conduct unbecoming the profession, incompetence or incapacity, the employer must report the matter to the College Registrar immediately. The employer must also provide a copy of the report to the person whose employment is terminated.

On–Going Obligations of the Registrant

To maintain eligibility to practice either audiology or speech–language pathology in Nova Scotia, it is the obligation of each individual registrant of the College to:

  1. Maintain registration with the College and renew license annually;
  2. Maintain Professional Liability Insurance coverage that meets the minimum requirements as set out by the College


The College is responsible for receiving and addressing complaints regarding the conduct or practice of its registrants.

Complaints filed with the College are voluntary, and may be made regarding any audiologist or speech–language pathologist, regardless of the employment relationship or status. If you are concerned about the practice or conduct of an audiologist or speech–language pathologist, but are unsure whether you wish to file a formal complaint, email the Registrar at . Discussion with the Registrar will assist you in determining whether or not you wish to proceed with a formal complaint, or whether there may be an alternate path to resolving the matter

A formal complaint must be submitted in writing. For more information about how to file a complaint, click here. (link to concerns and complaints over view)