FAQ for SLPs and Audiologists

SHANS has historically played a leadership role in representing the interests of Nova Scotia practitioners and SHANS members have pursued licensure for protecting the interests of Nova Scotians for over 30 years. SHANS struck the current Legislative Committee to investigate and pursue legislative protection in 2010. At the time the College was formed on November 5th, 2019, SHANS ceased to exist and was incorporated into the College with all its liabilities and assets

For new members, there are different procedures for graduates of approved education programs and those who graduated from another program. Approved programs are the accredited Canadian programs; all master level programs. Graduates of those programs will be eligible for registration if they have graduated in the last 5 years or completed at least 1000 hours in practice in the last 5 years.

For someone who has not worked the minimal number of hours, the Registration Committee will review their application and may place a restriction on their license. Individuals who graduate from a program that is not an accredited Canadian program, will need to show that they graduated from a master’s or doctoral program (or equivalent in the jurisdiction of the program) and complete a competency assessment as required by the College. The Registration Committee will review the applicant’s international credentials and effective April 1st, 2020, the applicant is expected to pass the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators (CAASPR) Entry to Practice Exam for Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CETP).

College regulations include a Waiver which allows the Registration Committee to make an exception to the licensing requirements if the Committee deems that an individual is qualified. All members will be required to provide proof of insurance. The College Board sets the minimum amount of insurance a member must carry; currently it is set at $2 million. If you are a salaried employee your employer may carry the necessary insurance for the work you provide in that work setting, and have a process in place to obtain this documentation. All questions related to your insurance coverage should be directed to your employer (and/or your insurance carrier if you are self-employed). Both SAC and the Canadian Academy of Audiology (CAA) offer reasonably priced professional insurance packages.

Which provinces currently require successful completion of the CETP examination for purposes of professional registration/licensure?
The CETP examination is a registration/licensure requirement in the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba, and Sakatchewan.However applicants from non-regulated provinces or territories and those who wish to voluntarily undertake the examination may request examination eligibility through CAASPR.

Where and how may I obtain additional CETP examination information?
Examination candidates should familiarize themselves with the examination policies and procedures contained in the CETP Examination Handbook located on the CAASPR website.

There are four license types each for audiologists and speech-language pathologists:

Practicing License - See Section 15 of the Regulations.
Restricted Practicing License - See Section 22 of the Regulations.
Temporary License - See Section 28 of the Regulations.
Restricted Temporary License - See Section 28 of the Regulations

There are two unlicensed member options.

Associate - Must have been previously licensed. Ideal for those on leaves of absence. Allows registrant to continue to sit on Committees and continue to receive communications. 
Student - For those working towards a career in audiology or speech-language pathology.

Please note that there is no 'reduced hours' option. 

The College itself operates in English. The level of language proficiency for a practitioner is set by the College but can be adjusted in certain circumstances. Also, the language proficiency requirement can be waived in certain individual circumstances. Thus, there are tools to accommodate members who are applying to work in a French setting.

To maintain a license, individuals must meet the continuing education requirements set by the Board and work at least 1000 hours in a 5 year period. The professions of audiology and speech-language pathology are dynamic and a level of active practice is necessary to keep current with changes. In addition, individuals will need to carry professional insurance (currently, a minimum level of $2 million). If you are a salaried employee, your employer may provide insurance. Individuals are encouraged to talk with their employer to determine what type of coverage is available within their employment setting. Both SAC and CAA offer reasonably priced professional insurance packages.

Speech-language pathologists and audiologists from PEI can join NSCASLP as either licensed members or associate members. Other provinces will only recognize an active practicing license. Associate membership in the NSCASLP will not allow one to be recognized by another College.

A license is required to practice in Nova Scotia. A license from NSCASLP can also be held by someone working in PEI or another jurisdiction. The current license fee is $400/year. Successful application also requires proof of liability insurance and currency hours of 1,000 hours over the last 5 years or graduation from an approved program within the last 5 years. NSCASLP also recommends maintaining continuing education hours. The grandparenting clause (automatic recognition of credentials for members of SHANS or people who are eligible for certification by SAC and have worked at least 1,000 over the last 5 years) would apply for people wishing to be licensed. Writing of the examination is not required by individuals eligible for this grandparenting clause. The grandparenting clause is in effect only until Nov. 4, 2020. Licenses are renewed annually and require evidence of liability insurance, continuing education requirements, currency hours (1,000 over 5 years), no findings against the member etc.

There is also the option of being an Associate Member (fee $200/year). Associate Members are registered with the College but are not licensed to practice in Nova Scotia. Registration involves evaluation of the individual’s credentials to practice (training, practicum hours etc) when first registered. To keep registration, one would need to renew their associate membership annually. The grandparenting clause (automatic recognition of credentials for members of SHANS or people who are eligible for certification by SAC and have worked at least 1,000 over the last 5 years) would apply for people wishing to be Associate members. Writing of the examination is not required by individuals eligible for this grandparenting clause. The grandparenting clause is in effect only until Nov. 4, 2020.

If one is an Associate Member and wants to get a license to practice in the future, they will have to apply for a license. Their file will be reviewed by the Registrar and the Registration Committee. If the individual is missing a requirement such as currency hours, the Committee may determine that a Restricted License is appropriate and restrictions such as requiring some upgrading, a period of supervision etc. may be placed on the license. Again, Associate membership would not be recognized as a qualification to practice by another College. The Associate member would have to become licensed if they wanted to move to another province under mutual recognition between Colleges.

All audiologists and speech-language pathologists practicing in Nova Scotia are required to join the College. Application is a $100 non-refundable fee.

Dues for 2021 are $400 and will be required to be submitted upon receipt of invoice at that time. Fee's are annual and there is no proration.
There is a late fee penalty of $150. 

Please note there is no reduced hours option.

Members have the opportunity to participate by serving on the Board of Directors of the College or on one of the Committees. For more information about these entities, refer to the Governance page under the About section of this website.

An association management group, in conjunction with a part-time Registrar will provide the administrative services required to operate the college. The management group offers meeting space and their administrative team provides financial management and general operation support for the College.

The primary reason for a professional group to become licensed is to ensure the public is adequately protected. Specifically, licensure helps ensure the safety and effectiveness of services by setting appropriate standards of conduct and competence. Such standards include providing the public with an affordable and accessible avenue to report concerns and complaints about the care they have received, and a reasonable expectation that such issues will be effectively addressed. Greater public confidence in the professions can also lead to an enhanced willingness to seek help. In addition, audiologists and speech-language pathologists in Nova Scotia will benefit from enhanced portability, professional recognition and opportunities for collaboration. As regulated professions, the College participates in the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Registrars (CAASPR) and the Nova Scotia Regulated Health Professions Network (NSRHPN).

Under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) provincial jurisdictions automatically recognize the licensed status of professionals operating in another licensed jurisdiction. No such protection exists for non-licensed environments. With a new entry-to-practice exam being developed for 2020 by CAASPR, audiologists and speech-language pathologists moving from an unlicensed jurisdiction to a licensed one will be required to write the new exam. In addition, the ability of employers to attract talent from a licensed jurisdiction to a non-licensed environment is also compromised.

Yes, licensure restricts the use of the titles to those who are members of the College. For Audiology, the Act reads “No person shall describe the person's activities as the "practice of audiology" or take or use the designation "Audiologist", “Hearing Aid Audiologist" or "Audiology Specialist", or any derivation, translation or abbreviation thereof, either alone or in combination with other words”. For Speech-Language Pathology it is “No person shall describe the person's activities as the "practice of speech-language pathology" or take or use the designation "Speech-Language Pathologist", "Speech (language) Therapist", "Speech and Language Therapist" or "Speech and Language Clinician", or any derivation, translation or abbreviation thereof, either alone or in combination with other words”.

Why is an examination required for professional licensure/registration?

Provincial regulatory organizations have a duty to the public to assess and ensure the competence of practicing Canadian audiologists and speech-language pathologists. In 2018, the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators and its regulatory member organizations (the 8 provincial regulatory authorities) announced that they would require the 2020 graduating cohort to pass the Canadian Entry to Practice (CETP) Exam to be eligible for full, unrestricted practice licensure in Canada. In collaboration with SAC, CAASPR remains committed to ensuring that any such required examination be delivered consistently, fairly and safely. 

Which provinces currently require registration for and successful completion of the CETP Exam for the purposes of professional registration/licensure?

The CETP Exam is a requirement for registration/licensure in the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. 


What is the rescheduled date of the CETP Exam?

The examination is scheduled for November 21st, 2020


What is the CETP Exam enrollment deadline?

The Exam enrollment deadline has been set as September 25th, 2020


Where will examination sites be located?

CAASPR and SAC are currently collaborating to establish provincial examination sites in Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.   More site information will be provided once sites have been confirmed.


How do I enroll for the CETP Exam?

Examination candidates must register on the CAASPR portal (https://www.caaspr.ca/), must provide required academic and other information, must pay the required fees (https://www.caaspr.ca/licensure-canada/application-guide), and must be deemed eligible by CAASPR prior to registering for the CETP Exam.


What if I have not yet completed my practicum?

CAASPR and SAC have ensured that students who have had their practicum delayed can gain ‘Conditional’ eligibility approval until November 11th, 2020.

I have already applied to CAASPR and have been ‘Approved’ for the examination, what is next for me?

Those who have already applied through the CAASPR portal and have received an Exam eligibility confirmation will be electronically notified when examination scheduling and enrollment processes are active.  Enrollment instructions will also be provided at that time.


I previously attempted the SAC examination without success and have questions regarding my application. What should I do?

In all such cases, you should contact your provincial regulator with your specific questions.  As the CETP Exam remains a requirement for registration in the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, these provincial regulators recommend that applicants create a portal account at https://www.caaspr.ca/ and submit questions and request for information through the portal ‘CONTACT’ form. 

How can I best prepare for the CETP examination?

When preparing for the examination, it is important that you recognize that the CETP Exam is a competency-based evaluation.  This means that the questions will be framed such that the expected performances are identified and linked to the professional competency profiles and the examination blueprints.  It is, therefore, important that you read and review these important documents (https://www.caaspr.ca/documents-and-links).  Here are additional strategies which may assist you prepare for the CETP:

·        Set a realistic study schedule and begin studying early.

·        Spread out your study sessions.

·        Do not simply memorize facts, always attempt to understand how the knowledge would apply within a clinical practice setting.

What else should I know about the CETP examination?

·        The examination will have 170 question items that you will be provided 3.5 hours to complete.

·        Efforts are made to ensure that the examinations are written in plain language.

·        Questions will all be multiple choice and there will be only one correct answer for each question. 

·        One point is awarded for each question, so do not leave any questions unanswered.  If you are not certain, select your best choice. 

·        Given that the CETP Exam is a paper-based, in–person examination, we must inform you that infection prevention and control procedures will be in place for the examination.  Examination candidates should plan to bring a mask for the examination day and should anticipate that hand hygiene and social distancing will apply.

Please note the following important information:


·        Individuals wishing to challenge the examination must first obtain examination eligibility approval by applying through the CAASPR Portal.  Exam candidates are encouraged to apply early at www.CAASPR.ca 


·        Applicants should consult the CAASPR Application Guide for further information regarding the CAASPR application process and documents that must be provided to meet Exam eligibility requirements.


·        Students who have not yet completed their educational program due to COVID-19, but who wish to enroll for the CETP Exam may avail themselves of the Conditional Approval process.  For more information regarding the Conditional Approval policy.


·        Once approved for exam eligibility, Exam candidates will receive further information regarding examination enrollment via the email address they provided in their CAASPR Portal account.


·        Additional examination information is available in the Examination Candidate Handbook and on the CAASPR website.


·        We will provide further information updates via the CAASPR website and to approved examination candidates via their CAASPR portal provided email.

Members can use the post-nominal Aud-Reg (audiologists) or SLP-Reg (speech-language pathologists). For members who are also certified by SAC, your provincial designation should be listed first, followed by SAC certification.